The Darwin Challenge is a Not For Profit organisation that is creating a free mobile app to show people the benefits of eating less meat. This is The Darwin Challenge App!
The Darwin Challenge App will challenge users to have 'meat-free days' and show users the benefits of giving up meat - for your health, for animals, and for the environment. It's not just a dietary change, it's a lifestyle change for the better. For yourself, for others, and for the planet.
Spearheaded by Chris Darwin, great-great-grandson of the famous Charles Darwin, we hope to inspire a movement to change the way people think about their consumption choices, and to inspire people to help make the world and our futures better together.
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
Our communities are facing a number of pressing issues - from unhealthy lifestyles, to animal cruelty, to climate change and human rights abuses. You may not know that excessive meat-consumption is a common factor in perpetuating each of these issues. Eating less meat one day a week might not seem like much, but it has trackable, measurable impacts in lots of areas. The Darwin Challenge app helps to show you your impact in the palm of hand and highlight how our small choices can have great impact for ourselves, others and the planet.
HOW DO WE MEASURE THE BENEFITS TO YOU AND THE PLANET?
We know that adopting a new behaviour is often hard, especially one so deeply engrained such as diet - even if we know the new behaviour might be good for us. But we also know that our motivations increase dramatically when we're able to measure the impacts we're having - and when we can see the incremental change were creating collectively with a movement of other people.
The Darwin Challenge App will provide comprehensive, up-to-date data to users using 6 metrics to help users visualise the benefits of eating less meat:
- Improvements to personal health;
- Animal cruelty;
- Greenhouse gasses;
- Deforestation and water wastage; and
- Human rights.
Users will be able to see the progress of their fellow Darwin Challenge users as well and see the collective impact of The Darwin Challenge community.
SMALL CHANGE, BIG IMPACT
The Darwin Challenge App is not about asking you to become a vegetarian. Instead, we believe in the power of small changes, that anyone can incorporate into their everyday lifestyles. Lots of people making small changes really adds up to some big impact.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS
- It takes 43,000L of water to put 1kg of beef on your plate. That’s the same as 660 showers!
- It takes 51,000L of water to put 1kg of lamb on your plate. That’s the same as 783 showers!
- The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation estimates that cattle are responsible for 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Emissions from the transport sector are estimated to contribute only 13% of total global emissions.
Late in life Charles Darwin said,
“I feel no remorse for having committed any great sin, but have often regretted that I have not done more direct good to our fellow creatures.”
We invite you to #JoinTheEvolution, and become part of a community making small changes with a big impact!
We have compiled a selection of rewards for campaign donors from the basic shoutouts on social media to a unique and fantastic dinner with Chris Darwin. Take a peek at some of the amazing rewards to offer:
- A fabulous outdoor vegetarian dinne hosted by Chris Darwin for up to 6 people. He last hosted such a dinner at the peak of Peru's tallest mountain, Mount Huascaran.
- An intimate dinner with Chris Darwin at the famous vegan and vegetarian restaurant Yullis, in Surry Hills.
- A copy of Charles Darwin's 'Voyage of the Beagle' signed by Chris Darwin.
- A day trip in the Blue Mountains with Chris Darwin and the team from High and Wild adventures. You get a choice of abseiling, rock climbing or walking.
ABOUT CHRIS DARWIN
Chris Darwin is the great-great-grandson of Charles Darwin. Early in life Chris' grandmother gave him some advice, 'If you cannot be first, be peculiar.' Chris has taken this advice seriously. He started the first rickshaw taxi company in London and also has over 20 years experience as a mountaineering guide. Two of his expeditions were world firsts: the first Round Britain Windsurf expedition and the world's highest dinner party on top of Peru's highest mountain; an event that was marred only by the wine freezing and two of the guests getting hypothermia during dessert.
Chris is also a passionate conservationist and through him, Charles Darwin's legacy lives on. He helped found the 68,000 hectare Charles Darwin Reserve in conjunction with Bush Heritage Australia and currently acts as an ambassador for the organisation. Together they have raised over $1.3 million to date. Now, with 42 other talented people, he has founded The Darwin Challenge!
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR FOUNDER CHRIS DARWIN HERE!