The Save Sirius Foundation believes the Minister for Heritage has not made the necessary and proper considerations on relevant matters in rejecting the Heritage Council's recommendation to list Sirius Apartments on the State Heritage Register. We will be asking the Environmental Defenders Office for advice on a legal action to have the Minister's decision reviewed and annulled. Forcing the Minister and the Government to give due weight to the relevant facts in re-making their decision.
We must remember the heritage Council voted unanimously to recommend to the Minister to list Sirius on the State Heritage Register on the grounds of:
- Aesthetics (an exemplar example of Brutalist Architecture), and
- History with the Green Bans movement within The Rocks.
Minister Mark Speakman rejects the Heritage Council's recommendation, whilst admitting the Heritage, said he preferred the money instead. say “I am not listing it because, whatever its heritage value, even at its highest that value is greatly outweighed by what would be a huge loss of extra funds from the sale of the site”
About The Sirius Building
Born out of the Green Bans of the 1970s, Sirius was designed between 1978 and 1979 by architect Tao Gofers, the building is a prominent example of Brutalist architecture in Australia.
The People of Sirius
Sirius is the latest, and likely the last, in a long line of significant workers accommodation in this Rocks and Millers Point area. Removing the tenants from Sirius, and severing the final link in this history of workers accommodation and maritime accommodation, especially if the building after being vacated is demolished, will result in the loss of an important aspect of Australia’s heritage, and possibly the loss of a community and precinct that is unique in the world in being a continuous history of a community and the places in which they lived that connects to the earliest times of its settlement.
The Save Our Sirius Foundation is a community organisation chaired by Shaun Carter, NSW Chapter President of the Australian Institute of Architects.
Environmental Defenders Office: the EDO is an independent community legal centre specialising in public interest environmental law.
How You Can Help
There are a number of ways how can show your support in our campaign to save Sirius;
1. Choose a reward: By choosing a reward you are joining our team and pledging your support to save Sirius.
2. Share Our Campaign: To be successful we need to share the campaign far and wide, so talking with friends and family about our project and sharing this page will help us spread the message about saving Sirius.
3. Share this link: www.startsomegood.com/SaveOurSirius
5. Contact Members of Parliament: We will have more information about how you can contact your member of parliament and the relevant Ministers coming soon!
Keep In Touch
Keep in touch with the Save Our Sirius Campaign;